My children have always used bebo to chat to schoolfriends and neighbours,it all seemed so very innocent.2007 has opened my eyes to the more sinister world of cyberbullying and grooming which bebo doesn't seem to give care about.
When my daughter vanished early this year we started to trace what she had been doing on her pc,the police even tokk it away for analysis,confirming that she had been talking to an older man who was unknown to us.This man had been systematically threatening her schoolfriends,not what you would expect,really vile threats,so bad that one set of parents even went to the police and made a formal complaint about it.
I also discovered a bebo site that this person had set up which was clearly being used for grooming young girls,it was labelled as a depression site,giving advice and support.The only people that this person replied to were 12 -13 yr old girls,it made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.
Now bebo is supposed to be self policing,they make that very well known when the press question their integrity,so I have tried out their wonderful 'report abuse' system.
You would expect that if you reported an offensive post that the people at bebo would take a look and remove it if necessary....oh no...don't be daft!!
I have made hard copies of dozens of abussive messages,threats and defamation of character pages,they will be used to push this problem into the public domain,although I'm not sure that bebo will like the free advertising!
Since 3rd October this year,one particular person has been using bebo as a voice box for some rather distasteful comments about me,he/she uses different user names but always the same IP address.Each time I have reported abuse to bebo,my account has been closed down and yet his has remained open,so it's seen as fine for this person to accuse me of crimes that the police deny ever happened,however for me to discuss Christmas shopping is abussive,forgive me if I'm confused!!!
Saturday, 29 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment